ALMAGUIN HIGHLANDS ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP COMMITTEE
Minutes of meeting
held on Thursday, October 19, 2006 at 10:00 a.m.
McMurrich/ Monteith Municipal Office, Sprucedale Ontario
Present : Chair Christina Golding, (Councillor – Powassan); Barbara Groves (Mayor - Chisholm), Kay Tod; (Secretary/ member-at-large); Gilbert Lane (Councillor - Ryerson); Denise Eckert (Community Updates); Brenda Scott (WORC); Andrew Busch (EDC Powassan; Jeff Buell (Bluesky.net); Merv Mulligan (Councillor, McMurrich/Monteith), David Stewart (Almaguin Highlands Ontario Inc); Frank Tod, (Councillor- Magnetawan); SarahJayne Connick (Project Co-ordinator, Ontario’s Near North); Robb McPhee, (E.D. Muskoka Community Network); Dick Smith, (Councillor, Magnetawan); Keely Grasser (Almaguin Forester)
Regrets : Dominique Marleau (NDO MNDM); Catharine Mayne (NECO); Eleanor Sled-Kurrle (R/A/BF. Special Events Comm); Jackie Leung (AH B&B); Jeff Johnston (Councillor – Kearney ); Don Carter (Councillor - Whitestone); Clint Brooks (MRWA);
Guest : Bob Golding
1. Meeting called to order by Chair Tina Golding @ 10:02 a.m. Introductions were made around the table...
2. No declarations of pecuniary interest
3. Deputations : None.
4. Adoption of Minutes
Moved by Groves and seconded by Scott that the minutes of the meeting held September 21, 2006 be accepted with the following amendment in 5.1 ---“That the second item in the MNDM report to read Northern Communities Investment Readiness program rather than NOHFC.” Carried
5. Reports from Community and Resource Partners
5.1 Ministry of Northern Development and Mines .
- No report. Regrets received from Dominique Marleau.
- No report. Regrets received from Catharine Mayne
- Jeff Buell reported that Spectrum continues to roll out services in the north with towers now installed in many locations. It is expected that more towers will be completed by the end of November when the program is completed.
- Towers along Highway 124 will be operational by the end of November
- Tower in Powassan has been sub-contracted to Trilon.
- Jeff updated information on the GIS program. Customer costs are unknown at this time.
- Bluesky continuing to catalogue for Library Services North. Many libraries are now in the program, which will allow improved access to book-sharing among libraries.
5.5 Muskoka Community Network
- Rob McPhee, Executive Director of MCN gave an excellent report on the work of this organization.
- He explained that the MCN services “dovetail” with Bluesky services rather than competing with each other.
- MCN is offering a series of workshops across Muskoka and Almaguin for small and medium sized businesses to assist in organizing and managing their information systems and in web site development.
- Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare is working with IT in patient archiving. This new computerized program allows information to be stored on transportable discs offering easier and more concise access to records by other consulting healthcare partners.
- MCN has a program called SIRA (Satellite Internet for Remote Areas). This program targets businesses and not-for-profit organizations that are not able to get broadband access through DSL, cable, wireless or fibre. Funded by FedNor this program also offers a subsidy to qualifying businesses for a limited time.
- For more information, call 705-646-9044 or visit the website at www.mcnet.ca e-mail access is email@example.com
An interesting question and answer period followed the presentations by Bluesky and MCN.
5.6 Women’s Own Resource Centre.
- Brenda Scott reported on recent events at WORC. The second Mother-Daughter workshop was held last evening and was a success. This project places a mother and daughter with a business partner and working together, information is shared on multiple issues i.e. budgeting, planning etc.
- Brenda apologized for not putting the construction class names in the paper
- She is working with Barb Groves and Clint Brooks re watershed information for the next issue of the BR&E page in the paper. This will include dialogue on the quality of water and the scope of the watersheds (Mattawa Conservation Authority and Magnetawan River Watershed Association)
- The Chair will prepare a statement for the next paper issue (by November 11, at the latest).
- Brenda passed around a paper published by Ontario Tourism (ANTA) containing facts and figures on tourism. This monthly publication can be downloaded from the website. Each municipality is receiving a copy at this time and it is important that every Councillor receive a copy.
- Carpool Almaguin has applied to Trillium for funding for this project. Brenda stressed that lack of transportation is the #1 barrier to economic development in the north. Representatives from 16 organizations --- Almaguin Community Partners, sponsor this project.
- In response to a question regarding DSSAB’s refusal to assist in funding the CAP program at three area libraries, Brenda explained that this was as a result of a motion put to DSSAB Concern was expressed by some members that Ontario Works recipients with limited resources use CAP to search for employment. Some DSSAB members reportedly felt that this was the responsibility of the municipalities.
- NOTE: CAP funding ends this year for the libraries.
5.7 Ontario ’s Near North (ANTA)
- SarahJayne Connick informed AHED that a map of the Near North is being put together and will be broken down into sections. In order to have a listing on the Map you must be a partner or become one..
- The map will be available to everyone and will be distributed with the 2007 Welcome Tourism Guide which goes to the 18 Tourist Information Centres in Ontario and to Sports and Tourism Shows in Canada and the US . It will also be sent out with an information package in response to enquiries made on the website and toll-free time. .
- It is too late to place the words “Almaguin Highlands” on the map but will be placed in the “ideas” folder for next year.
5.8 Township of Chisholm
- Barb Groves thanked NECO for the $3000.00 grant to be used for renovations to the fire hall meeting room. This room is used for other meetings and met the criteria for funding
- DSSAB was present at an Emergency Measures meeting and presented what their role would be
- Re the JEPP funding --- four northern area municipalities will try to present a joint application for an emergency van.
5.9 Ryerson, Armour, Burk’s Falls Special Events Committee .
- Gib Lane reported that the group is financially supporting several athletes.
5.10 Almaguin Highlands Business After Hours (AHBAH )
- Denise Eckert reported that the group had a meeting on Tuesday evening. They are looking to bring in more members and are re-examining the focus.
- It was suggested that AHBAH contact Wendy Schroeder at the Parry Sound Chamber of Commerce and ask her to attend a meeting.
5.11 Powassan Observatory Committee
- Kay Tod reported that the consultants are still waiting for a confirmation from the Bracebridge MNR Office prior to proceeding with the EA Report and Business Plan...
5.12 Municipality of Whitestone .
- No report. Regrets from Don Carter.
5.13 Economic Development in the Municipality of Powassan
- Andrew Busch reported that the First Impressions project is now on the back burner for several reasons.
- Re the Strategic Plan/HP Plan -- council adopted the HR plan.
5.14 Almaguin Highlands Bed and Breakfast Association. (AHB&B). No report
5.15 Kearney Watershed Environment Foundation/2008 Centennial Project .
- No report. Regrets from Jeff Johnston...
5.16 South Almaguin E. D. Committee
- Denise Eckert informed the group about the successful public meeting with the funders
- The group is planning a meeting with the businesses to determine educational needs for the community. They could then work with Canadore College to hold courses in the area.
- Brenda Scott noted that all this information is on the LTAB website --- no need to duplicate. firstname.lastname@example.org This is the focus of LTAB .
5.17 Community Updates Directory
- Denise Eckert thanked WORC for the excellent Mothers and Daughters workshop last eve.
- She has hired another person for community Updates and the “special” for November will be the election.
5.18 Almaguin Highlands Ontario Inc.
- David Stewart asked about publishing the AHED minutes on his website... He assured us that there will be no cost involved at any time and that it would create interest.
- He is concerned that $$$ are going elsewhere and would like to keep them in Almaguin
Moved by Barb Groves and seconded by Brenda Scott that this Committee (AHED) does hereby give David Stewart permission to publish the minutes of the AHED meetings on his web site – www.almaguin.org. David Stewart has agreed to do this as a free service at no cost at any time to the AHED Partnership Committee. Carried.
Denise Eckert requested a similar arrangement.
Moved by Barb Groves and seconded by Brenda Scott that this Committee (AHED) does hereby give Denise Eckert permission to publish the minutes of the AHED meetings on her web site—www.communityupdates.com. Denise Eckert has agreed to do this as a free community service at no cost at any time to the AHED Partnership Committee. Carried
- Merv Mulligan commented on the demise of the Marketing Almaguin Strategy Committee and attributes it to the lack of co-operation among municipalities. Frank Tod explained that it was also due to the lack of provincial funding for the project although FedNor had committed funding.
- Merv explained why we all have to work together to make things work
- P2P trail helping the economy in his area
- He attended the Economic Development meeting with Tony Clement M.P. for Parry Sound-Muskoka.
- M/M received funding from the JEPP grant and bought a generator. Kay Tod informed the group that Eastholme had a generator for sale – best offer from a municipality.
5.20 Magnetawan River Watershed Association .
- Clint Brooks will work with Barb Groves re info for the paper.
8. Other Business/Community Reports .
- Gib Lane suggested we invite the Huntsville E.D.O. to our next meeting. It was suggested we leave it until later as the municipal elections are just a few days prior to our next meeting and everyone will be busy.
9. Adjournment and next meeting
Moved by Stewart that the meeting adjourn at 12:20 p.m. Carried .
Next meeting: Women’s Own Resource Centre in South River
Date: November 16, 2006
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Thank you to the Township of McMurrich/Monteith for the hospitality and a special thank you to Merv Mulligan for baking all those lovely cookies (or so he claimed!)
Christine Golding, Chair Kay Tod, Secretary
Back to AHED Minutes and News