ALMAGUIN HIGHLANDS ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP COMMITTEE
Minutes of meeting
Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 10:00 a.m.
Women’s Own Resource Centre, South River Ontario
Present : Chair Christina Golding, (Councillor – Powassan); Barbara Groves (Mayor - Chisholm), Kay Tod; (Secretary/ member-at-large); Gilbert Lane (Councillor - Ryerson); Denise Eckert (Community Updates); Brenda Scott (WORC); Merv Mulligan (Councillor, McMurrich/Monteith), David Stewart (Almaguin HighlandsOntario Inc); Eleanor Sled-Kurrle (R/A/BF. Special Evens Committee; Jeff Johnston (Councillor – Kearney ); Heather Dumont, (Almaguin Highlands Business After Hours)
Regrets : Dominique Marleau (NDO MNDM); Catharine Mayne (NECO); Don Carter (Councillor - Whitestone); Jeff Buell (Bluesky.net); Andrew Busch (EDC Powassan); SarahJayne Connick (Project Co-ordinator, Ontario’s Near North);
1. Meeting called to order by Chair Tina Golding @ 10:02 a.m.
2. No declarations of pecuniary interest
3. Deputations : None.
4. Adoption of Minutes
Moved by Eckert and seconded by Scott that the minutes of the meeting held October 19, 2006 be accepted as amended. (Amendment submitted by SarahJayne Connick and read by Secretary Kay Tod) Carried
Discussion: it was agreed by consensus that anyone who wishes verbatim reports in the minutes should submit a brief written report. to the Chairperson or the Secretary
5. Reports from Community and Resource Partners
5.1 Ministry of Northern Development and Mines.
- No report. Regrets received from Dominique Marleau.
- No report. Regrets received from Catharine Mayne
- No report. There is an upcoming meeting on November 29 re GIS planning. For info, call Jeff.
5.5 Women’s Own Resource Centre.
- Brenda Scott displayed a copy of the News page that will be printed in the Almaguin Forester tomorrow with a focus on “watersheds”.
- Brenda is looking for another topic for the March issue and would appreciate suggestions.
- WORC is looking for funding for the next 2 years.
- The WORC is actively seeking “outreach space” from a municipality for 2 hours/1 day per week for 2007-2009 --- Tuesday would be a good day. The focus of this project is on “balanced living” Requires 6 women to participate.
- A Funding Handbook ideal for start-up or expanding businesses is available at 1-800-465-1882.
5.6 Ontario ’s Near North (ANTA)
- No report. Regrets received from SarahJayne Connick.
5.7 Township of Chisholm
- Barb Groves reported she has been re-elected as Mayor and will be continue to attend AHED.
5.8 Ryerson, Armour, Burk’s Falls Special Events Committee.
- Eleanor Sled-Kurrle reported that the “Bury the Boat” project raised $1100.00 for the Our Community Works.
- The Committee has donated $500.00 to Kris McAughey from Burk’s Falls who will be playing hockey for the Greater Metro Toronto Triple A Hockey League this year. The Committee sponsorship will be on his team jersey.
- The Committee hosted a successful All Candidates Meeting for Ryerson Twp. There were over 40 people in attendance.
- The South Almaguin Economic Development Council has advised the Committee in writing that “ as an Economic Council, applying for individuals , organizations, etc. is not in our Charter, we will not be submitting an application for funding for the mural on the Bowling Alley on behalf of this Committee”. This was disappointing news for the Committee and they are determined to find an alternate arrangement for completing the project designed to enhance the Village of Burk ’s Falls.
Discussion It was suggested that this Committee apply to the Trillium Foundation through the municipal office. Trillium is now “fast-tracking” smaller amounts and Almaguin areas should start applying.
5.9 Almaguin Highlands Business After Hours (AHBAH )
- Heather Dumont is the owner/operator of the 10 Gables Golf Club and is now Chair of the AHBAH.
- Meetings are held on the 3 rd Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at 10 gables.
- There will be a special meeting on December 6/06 and this will be advertised this week. .
- To become a member, call Heather at 1-705-384-5844
- Website is http://www.tengablesgolfinn.com/
- It was interesting to hear that 10 Gables hosts parties, meetings and events in the Club House.
- Will be hosting “Christmas at the Gables” for small businesses.
5.10 Powassan Observatory Committee
- Kay Tod reported that the “private partner” has amicably withdrawn from the project.
- The Committee met last evening and has committed to staying together and continue working towards our goal.
5.11 Municipality of Whitestone.
- No report. Regrets from Don Carter.
5.12 Economic Development in the Municipality of Powassan
- No report. Regrets from Andrew Busch.
5.13 Almaguin Highlands Bed and Breakfast Association. (AHB&B).
- Heather reported on the AHB&B. It was “let go” over the summer but now has 11 B&B’s in the core group.
- A website is being developed.
5.14 Kearney Economic Development, Centennial 2008 and Environmental Projects.
- Jeff Johnston reports that the new Kearney Council will be establishing an E.D. Advisory committee which will address all economic development projects for the Town of Kearney such as the Strategic Plan, Ralph Bice Theme Park, Opportunities for Youth and Business Development (in conjunction with local business)
- Centennial 2008 projects will include Town Beautification, Centennial 2008 Publications, Centennial 2008 Events, Centennial 2008 Promotions and Memorabilia.
- Environmental will include the Kearney Watershed Environment Foundation projects and the Kearney Environmental Advisory Committee projects
Discussion turned to the topic of “broadband” and that we all seem to be experiencing some frustrations with lack of progress. It was suggested that AHED spearhead a regional meeting to discuss this topic.
Brenda suggested applying for funding in order to host a public meeting. ---- January 18, 2007(???)
It was moved by Groves and seconded by Stewart that the December meeting be cancelled. Carried
Congratulations to David Stewart who will be getting married on December 15, 2006 at Bear Lake Church.
Reception is to be at the 10 Gables Golf Club and everyone is invited to join in the celebrations.
5.15 South Almaguin E. D. Committee
- Denise Eckert stated there is to be a meeting on November 20/06 in order to regroup after the elections.
5.16 Community Updates Directory
- Denise Eckert reported that information is now going out and she would like some background on AHED. Kay Tod will write a short history.
5.17 Almaguin Highlands Ontario Inc.
- David Stewart noted comparative prices between ANTA and AHO Inc for a spot on the map. While ANTA is charging $200.00, Almaguin Highlands Ontario Inc is offering a spot for $50.00.
- Merv Mulligan reported on a busy election and commented on the VBM process. At this time, it would appear that there is little difference in the number of spoiled ballots for walk-in vs VBM
- M/M is getting ready for the snowmobile season.
- Would like to see improved cell phone service particularly for remote areas.
- Dave commented on the use of “short” towers.
5.19 Magnetawan River Watershed Association.
- Kay reported that Clint Brooks is away until the Spring. This item will be removed from the Agenda until further notice.
8. Other Business/Community Reports.
- .Gib Lane would like to see letters go out to all communities requesting representatives to attend AHED meetings.
- It was suggested that AHED host a public meeting for all the funders (April?)
9. Adjournment and next meeting
Moved by Johnston that the meeting adjourn at 11:50 a.m. Carried.
Next meeting : Women’s Own Resource Centre in South River
Date January 18 2007
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Christine Golding, Chair Kay Tod, Secretary
Back to AHED Minutes and News