ALMAGUIN HIGHLANDS ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP COMMITTEE
Minutes of meeting
held on Thursday, January 18, 2007 at 10:00 a.m.
Women’s Own Resource Centre
South River, Ontario
Present : Christina Golding, (Chairperson); Dominique Marleau (NDO MNDM); Catharine Mayne (Community Futures); Ron Begin (FedNor); Andrew Busch (EDC Powassan); Kay Tod; (Secretary/ member-at-large); Gilbert Lane (Councillor, Ryerson); Denise Eckert (Community Updates); Brenda Scott (WORC); Merv Mulligan (Councillor, McMurrich/Monteith), Morley Moore (Councillor, Whitestone) David Stewart (Almaguin HighlandsOntario Inc); Eleanor Sled-Kurrle (R/A/BF. Special Events Committee; Jeff Johnston (Mayor –Kearney); Frank Tod (Councillor,Magnetawan ); Heather Dumont, (Almaguin Highlands Business After Hours) Chantal Pacey (NECO Intern); Paul Tomlinson (Councillor, Kearney); Robert Tilley (Councillor, Kearney); Caroline Loiselle (Citizenship/Immigration, Culture, Health Promotion, Sports and Rec ); Roberta O’Quinn (Nipissing );
Regrets : SarahJayne Connick (Project Co-ordinator, Ontario ’s Near North ); Barbara Groves (Mayor - Chisholm),
1. Meeting called to order by Chair Tina Golding @ 10:00 a.m.
2. No declarations of pecuniary interest
3. Deputations : None.
4. Adoption of Minutes
Moved by Eleanor Sled-Kurrle and seconded by Jeff Johnston that the minutes of the meeting held November 16 2006 be accepted as circulated. Carried
5. Reports from Community and Resource Partners
5.1 Ministry of Northern Development and Mines.
- Dominique Marleau reminded those present re the Rural Infrastructure Investment Initiative. Application deadline is February 5, 2007 . Applications must be for a “construction-ready” project and priorities are: Roads/Bridges, Water/Wastewater; Solid Waste Management, Sports/Recreation and Culture, Community Energy. Smaller projects are recommended and applicants are encouraged to stay under the $186,000 mark.
- Applications can be obtained on line and are simple to complete. Comments are to be kept under the 300-word mark --- anything over will be deleted. Municipalities can request up to 100% funding
- The new manager in the North Bay office is Sue Keall. Sue will be the N.B. Area Team Manager for a 4-month period while the previous manager; Louise Brinkmann is Acting Director in Sudbury .
5.2 Community Futures (NECO)
- Catharine Mayne reported that there were four successful applicants in the latest round of requests for funding. Each was for $3000.00
- There is $10,000 left in funds --- the next round of applications will be reviewed on January 31/07
- There is a vacancy on the NECO Board of Directors for Almaguin South. Meetings are held once a month and sub-committees meet as necessary.
- Chantal Pacey gave a brief overview on her work as an intern. She is updating community profiles and will be released shortly.
- Ron Begin updated info on the Equine Database that is being established and thanked all those who contributed information.
- FedNor/Health Minister Tony Clement held a round-table discussion on tourism recently. Representatives from various sectors and municipalities were present. The Federal Tourism Minister Gerry Ritz was also present.
- A national tourism strategy is being established
- Jeff Buell not present.
- Discussion was held regarding the status of broadband in Almaguin. There has been a long history of program promises from various sources but it was agreed that it is now imperative that Almaguin obtains high-speed services in order to achieve economic growth. A query was noted -- is Spectrum now the service provider – not Bluesky?
- Kearney has a petition signed by over 300 people regarding the need for high-speed service and these were presented to Catharine Mayne.
- It was agreed by consensus that a region-wide petition could be a useful lobbying tool. Kearney has agreed to spearhead this effort. (Petition template attached to Minutes)
- Petitions could be presented at a future regional Summit . Date to be established later in this meeting.
- GIS project is moving ahead – municipalities who have contributed funding will be contacted shortly.
5.5 Women’s Own Resource Centre.
- Brenda Scott distributed brochures re WORC activities and gave an update on the objectives and goals of the organization Website is www.womensownresource.org
- Funding is received primarily from the Ontario Women’s Directorate.
- The MicroBusiness Centre was in operation for two years and was funded by eight municipalities.
- Workshops and outreach programs are presented by WORC but the main obstacle for those attending is transportation.
- There were 30-week outreach workshops planned for Kearney and Powassan. Only one person applied for the Kearney project and as 6 registrants are required, it was cancelled. The facilitator will be working out of the WORC office contacting businesses.
- Brenda noted that every 2 years, 30 to 40 new businesses start up.
- The information page currently developed by WORC and placed in the newspaper will be out of funds shortly and not eligible for further funding from that source. .
- Carpool Almaguin (a joint regional organizational project) is moving ahead with applications for funding from NOHFC and FedNor.
- LTAB, Canadore College , DPS Employment Services and WORC are presenting a Skilled Trades public information workshop on Tuesday, February 20/07 at the South River Community Centre. 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Attendance is free.
- Information on stats and forecast regarding the tourism industry is available at www.research.tourism.gov.on.ca
5.6 Ontario ’s Near North (ANTA)
- SarahJayne Connick was not present and there was no report
5.7 Township of Chisholm
5.8 Ryerson, Armour, Burk’s Falls Special Events Committee.
- Eleanor Sled-Kurrle reported that The Community Works project (refurbishing the Arena) was boosted recently with the receipt of funding from NOHFC of $750,000.00
- The Special Events Committee is still seeking funding for painting a scene on a wall in Burk’s Falls. Trillium Foundation was not optimistic re funding.
5.9 Almaguin Highlands Business After Hours (AHBAH )
- Heather Dumont reported that AHBAH met last evening at the Ten Gables Golf Club and the group is progressing well with interesting meeting content. It continues to actively look for new members.
- The group will start advertising in the paper and will spotlight the guest speaker. More information may be obtained by calling Heather at 705-384-5844. or email : email@example.com
5.10 Powassan Observatory Committee
- Kay Tod requested that the report be combined with 5.12 for the Powassan Economic Development Officer Andrew Busch to present.
5.11 Municipality of Whitestone.
- Morley Moore is the new representative from Whitestone Council
- Whitestone has organized a Community Development Committee. It will begin work on cataloguing all businesses and organizations
- A meeting is being planned with Norm Miller, M.P.P to escort him on an in-depth tour in the Municipality.
5.12 Economic Development in the Municipality of Powassan
- Andrew Busch stated there was nothing new re the Powassan Public Observatory project. It is still very much alive with a meeting scheduled for January 31, 2007 .
- Powassan Council adopted the Strategic Plan and work will commence on this plan.
- Wind farm project still being investigated and hopefully construction will begin this fall
- Responding to a question from Gib Lane re the biodiesel fuel project, Allan Hodder will be contacted shortly.
5.13 Almaguin Highlands Bed and Breakfast Association. (AHB&B).
- Heather Dumont reported papers have been filed to form a structured Association
- Will have more to report next month.
- Website for area Bed and Breakfasts is www.bbcanada.com/ontario . Click # 7 ( Northern Ontario )
5.14 Kearney Economic Development, Centennial 2008 and Environmental Projects
- Jeff Johnston announced that a new Economic Development Committee has been formed. Councillor Paul Tomlinson is the chair. Committee’s potential is being explored.
- The Parks and Rec. Committee has been expanded and will explore new youth opportunities i.e. canoe lessons.etc and will pursue funding.
- C/A Twyla Nicholson is putting together a directory of funding agencies. Caroline Loiselle has a directory and will bring copies for everyone to our next meeting (38 pages)
- Kearney is pursuing the prospect of hiring an intern for E.D. and other duties.
- Re Centennial 2008 – plans are moving along well with 5 sub-committees all working hard.
- A plan for urban redesign was been completed by Urban Design Associates.
- The design for new washrooms in the Community Centre is finished -- no cost estimate as yet.
- Historic St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church is in need of structural repairs. There is no funding available at this time but Caroline Loiselle is aware of the project.
- The Annual Dog Sled Races will be in February – always a huge event in Kearney .
- Re the highway signs to Kearney – several small signs have now been erected and the administration is following up with MTO.
5.15 South Almaguin E. D. Committee
- Denise Eckert reported that there is to be a meeting this evening ...
- The group is planning a public business meeting. LTAB, the Business Centre and Canadore College are all involved. (Late note: Meeting has been arranged for February 22, 2007 11am to 1:00pm at the BAR Arena.) Further info may be had from Denise at 382- 5219.
- Although this group is not hosting the Snowmobile races to be held in Burk’s Falls the weekend of March 3-4, information on the “Almaguin Cup” event can be obtained at www.almaguincup.com.
5.16 Community Updates Directory
- Denise Eckert encouraged everyone to send info re upcoming community events to her at 382-5219...
5.17 Almaguin Highlands Ontario Inc.
- David Stewart is featuring businesses on his website.
- Re the Almaguin Highlands logo – Dave has regalia available with the logo on it – i.e. scarves, hats etc.
- Dave was offered congratulations on his recent marriage.
- Merv Mulligan reported on the Park to Park Trail. All bridges are up and running – all we need is more snow.
- Eventually this P2P Trail will run from Kearney to Parry Sound.
- This trail intersects at some points but is not part of the Discovery Trails and the Trans-Canada Trail.
- A great history book has been developed and available through P2P. The AGM is in Sprucedale on January 27 th.
- Sprucedale’s Winter Carnival is to be held Feb 9 and 10/07
- Merv thanked all the Government Agencies, Ministries and Departments for attending the AHED meetings, for the time they spend with us and for the important information they bring.
. 5.19 Ministries of C&I/ Health Promo/Sports and Rec/Culture
- The Chair welcomed Caroline Loiselle who then gave a short overview on all the Ministries and Agencies she represents as Regional Advisor .
- Re:Citizenship and Immigration : Volunteer Service Awards deadline has been extended to next Monday, January 22/07. These awards recognize volunteers for 5, 10, 15 and 20 years of service. It is a very simple and easy form to fill out and if there are any further nominations, call Caroline at 705-494-4161 or toll free at 1-800-461-9563.
- Re: Culture Caroline works with museums, libraries, arts and historical buildings. There are no new programs at present.
- Re Health Promotion: Communities in Action Fund guidelines are out and there are funds for new, non-capital, initiatives that will contribute to increasing Ontario ’s physical activity and sport participation rates. The deadline if March 2, 2007 but it is important that organizations contact Caroline for assistance before completing the applications. The Ministry’s website is www.mhp.gov.on.ca
- Kearney volunteered to host an information session regarding the development of a strategy to improve parks.
- There will be a Regional Community Recreational Information Session for Recreational Directors and Chairs on Wednesday, February 7, 2007 . It will be held in the Ontario Gov’t Bldg at 447 McKeown Ave from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. RSVP by e-mail by Jan 31 st to: Caroline.Loiselle@Ontario.ca
***Frank Tod (Magnetawan) stated he would like to see work done on branding the Almaguin Highlands. Discussion followed and it was noted that Ontario ’s Near North had put this idea in their “Ideas Folder” for future discussion. It was proposed and agreed to by consensus that the Chair write a letter to Ontario ’s Near North requesting the words “Almaguin Highlands” be placed on future maps. Further ideas will be explored in the future.
***It was strongly suggested by Roberta O’Quinn that Nipissing Township be invited to future AHED meetings. It was noted, that these meetings are open and that Nipissing had been invited in the past. They will be contacted again.
***It was also requested by Gib Lane (Ryerson) that a representative from Perry attends the AHED meetings to update the other communities regarding the status of the AHIC Centre. Perry has always been sent copies of the Minutes and the Agenda.
6 . Correspondence
7. New Business.
7.1 April Summit Discussion
- A tentative date for this Summit was tentatively set for April 26, 2007 . It was agreed we need/have a strong agenda including issues such as broadband, funding opportunities etc.
- We will likely require funding
- We should involve MP’s MPP’s. Federal Departments, Provincial Ministries, other Agencies such as Canadore College , LTAB, Trillium foundation etc.
- Tentative registration should be set at $20.00 (including lunch)
- A Committee will investigate further. Volunteers are Tina Golding, Brenda Scott, Ron Begin, Catharine Mayne, Kay Tod, David Stewart, Andrew Busch, Denise Eckert,
- Although Magnetawan is interested in hosting this Summitt, it was suggested that it would better serve the communities to hold it in a central location. WORC in South River ?
- Review AHED Terms of Reference This was deferred to the start of our next meeting
8. Other Business/Community Reports.
10 Adjournment and Next Meeting Date
Moved by Brenda Scott that the meeting adjourn at 12:20 p.m. Carried .
Next meeting : Women’s Own Resource Centre in South River (will notify via e-mail if change of site)
Date February 15/07
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Christine Golding, Chair Kay Tod, Secretary
A sub-committee Summit meeting was held on January 25 th at the WORC in South River .
- The date for the Summit will be Thursday, March 22, 2007 at the Community Centre in South River . Time 8:30 a.m.to 3:15 p.m.
- The theme for the day will be “Showcase Almaguin ”.
- This event will be open to everyone wishing to attend.
Back to AHED Minutes and News