ALMAGUIN HIGHLANDS ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP COMMITTEE
Minutes of meeting
held on Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 10:00 a.m.
at the Village of Burk’s Falls Municipal Office
Present : 15 PARTNERS present as follows: Chair Christina Golding, (Councillor – Powassan); Barbara Groves (Mayor - Chisholm); Kay Tod; (Secretary, and member-at-large); Gilbert Lane (Councillor - Ryerson); Eleanor Sled-Kurrle (R/A/BF. Special Events Comm.); Brenda Scott (WORC), Denise Sherritt (NDO MNDM); Andrew Busch (EDC Powassan).; Catharine Mayne (NECO); Merv Mulligan, (Councillor – McMurrich/Montieth); Ron Begin (FedNOR); Sandra Smyth (Mattawa and Area forestry Committee); Denise Eckert (Community Updates); Jeff Johnston (Councillor –Kearney); Allan Hodder) Burk’s Falls.
Regrets : Kelly Earley (EDC Whitestone); Jackie Leung (AH B&B); Jeff Buell (Bluesky.net);
1. Meeting called to order by Chair Tina Golding @ 1000 a.m.
2. No declarations of pecuniary interest
3. Deputations : None.
4. Adoption of Minutes
- Moved by Sled-Kurrle and seconded by Groves that the minutes of the meeting held May 18, 2006 be accepted. Motion carried
5. Reports from Community and Resource Partners
5.1 Ministry of Northern Development and Mines.
- Denise Sherritt thanked everyone for attending the Funding Forum held in Sundridge recently and hosted by MNDM.
- Anyone interested can pick up a package from Denise.
- Most respondents at this Forum indicated they would like to see this type of info every 6 months.
- Barb Groves informed the group about a forum to be hosted by Chisholm on June 27/06
- Catharine Mayne introduced Sandra Smyth of the Mattawa Area Forestry Committee. This is an active group that has completed several economic development projects.
- Sandra gave an interesting overview of the accomplishments of the group including the brochure packed with information on businesses along the Kiosk Road . Financial assistance was obtained from NECO and the Trillium Foundation.
- The “Treat Yourself” booklet with information on eco-tours has been circulated and also left in Motel rooms
- Re: hints to bring people back --- find “hooks”, update maps that will fit into car glove compartments.
- Always expect a ripple effect from any project in other communities.
- The Chair thanked Sandra for her interesting and upbeat presentation
- Jeff Buell sent regrets – report will be e-mailed by the Chair after this meeting.
5.4 Women’s Own Resource Centre.
- Brenda Scott presented her report.
- Brenda attended the GIS Mapping conference
- Noted that everyone who applied to the ad for the Office Assistant’s position at WORC will be contacted and invited for a skills evaluation if they would like to do so.
- Community Partners program is a new group with reps from many social services agencies interested in developing transportation means for those who do not qualify for assistance from other ministry-supported programs.
- Brenda recently visited the AHIC Centre and although it appeared to be very busy, it appeared to need brochures to inform people about the area.
- Discussion was held regarding the need for an updated Almaguin Highlands map.
- Brenda spoke about the Culinary Arts program -- a joint project between WORC and Canadore College
- More community pictures and info needed for the paper. Kay will send one from Magnetawan.
5.5 Burk's Falls/Armour/Ryerson Special Events Committee
- Eleanor Sled-Kurrle reported on the annual Greg Boyes Day to be held on July 22nd with a BBQ Pig Roast, arm wrestling and other entertainment. .
- The Committee is looking for funding to relocate the statue of Greg Boyes to the Daisy-a-Day Garden Centre.
- Summer calendar is in progress.
- Large sign in the Village parking lot is selling advertising and has been a popular spot for merchants in the past to spotlight their businesses.
5.6 Almaguin Highlands Business After Hours (AHBAH)
- Report for Julie McDermott given by Brenda and Denise E. There will be a meeting of this group on June 21 st at the Ten Gables Golf Club.
5.7 Powassan Observatory Committee
- Report given by Andrew Busch. Negotiations are proceeding between the Committee/Council and a potential private partner.
- MNR will be contacted shortly re land use/purchase/lease. A surveyor was brought in recently to give expert advice.
5.8 Municipality of Whitestone BR&E Program
- Kelly sent regrets.
- She is busy preparing for the Canada Day Summerfest weekend
5.9 Economic Development in the Municipality of Powassan
- Gib asked Andrew if Allen Hodder can attend a MoPED meeting to present his information on the recycling of cooking oil into biodiesel fuel. Andrew will facilitate this.
- Allen gave a brief summary of his biodiesel fuel project.
- The biggest Powassan project is the Strategic Plan and Powassan has held 2 public meeting. The outcomes of the meetings basically reconfirm the findings of the steering committee
5.10 Almaguin Marketing Proposal
- Merv indicated that the Municipality of M/M will be on board to see where it will go
- There is little public information available.
5.11 Almaguin Highlands Bed and Breakfast Association. (AHB&B).
- There will be a Bird Watching Weekend organized by the B&B Association and the project will be reassessed.
5.12 Kearney Watershed Environment Foundation.
- Jeff Johnston invited all to attend a public meeting on June 17/06 to hear the report being made at that time regarding the state of the watershed. 10:00 a.m. to noon. Refreshments will be served. Tina, Barb and Kay indicated they would like to attend.
- Jeff spoke regarding the funding opportunities through Caroline Loiselle (Ministry of Sports, Tourism, Culture etc) for such activities as canoe lessons etc.
- Re Centennial 2008 – the group is working on plans for waterfront beautification etc.
- He expressed thanks to Denise S. for the information presented the Funding Forum and how important it is when applying for funding to indicate the economic benefits and opportunities for job creation.
- Ron Begin presented an update from FedNOR
- Marketing Almaguin project is ongoing but there are certain details to work out.
- Central Almaguin E. D. Association (formerly the #124 Committee) is working closely with the Marketing Almaguin Committee and the results of a meeting sponsored by NECO were inconclusive. They will meet again
- Ron is now responsible for NECO.
- A report was given regarding the projects of the Mattawa/Bonfield E.D. group including a meeting for Wednesday, June 21 at 6:30 p.m. at the Canadian Legion in Mattawa.
5.14 Community Updates Directory
- Denise E. explained the concept of her business
5.15 South Almaguin E. D. Committee (formerly BF/A/R Economic Development Group )
- Denise E. reported that the Strategic Plan for the group has been completed and is waiting funding for several project. Thanks extended to Denise S.
8. Other Business/Community Reports.
9. Adjournment and next meeting
Moved by Tod that the meeting adjourn at 12:05 p.m. Carried
Next meeting : Magnetawan Friendship Club
- Take Highway 520 to the four corners in Magnetawan Village Centre.
- Proceed east along Sparks St.-- past the Mag Inn -- and across the bridge.
- Turn right at the next four-way stop and the Friendship Club is immediately on the right.
Thank you to the Village of Burk ’s Falls for the donated use of the Council Chambers
Christine Golding, Chair Kay Tod, Secretary
Back to AHED Minutes and News