ALMAGUIN HIGHLANDS ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP COMMITTEE
Minutes of meeting
Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 10:00 a.m.
Magnetawan Friendship Centre
Present : Chair Christina Golding, (Councillor – Powassan); Barbara Groves (Mayor - Chisholm); Kay Tod; (Secretary/ member-at-large); Gilbert Lane (Councillor - Ryerson); Eleanor Sled-Kurrle (R/A/BF. Special Events Comm.); Denise Sherritt (NDO MNDM); Andrew Busch (EDC Powassan); Catharine Mayne (NECO); Denise Eckert (Community Updates); Jeff Johnston (Councillor –Kearney); Kelly Early (EDC, Whitestone); David Stewart (Almaguin Highlands Ontario Inc.); David Burr (BAR ED); Frank Tod, (Councillor, Magnetawan); Jen Nicholson (Almaguin Forester)
Regrets : Jackie Leung (AH B&B); Jeff Buell (Bluesky.net);
1. Meeting called to order by Chair Tina Golding @ 10:10 a.m.
2. No declarations of pecuniary interest
3. Deputations : None.
4. Adoption of Minutes
Moved by Johnston and seconded by Groves that the minutes of the meeting held June 15, 2006 be accepted. Motion carried
5. Reports from Community and Resource Partners
5.1 Ministry of Northern Development and Mines.
- Denise Sherritt reported on COMRIF 3 that closes on September 13/06. She urges all
municipalities to “work with MNDM if resubmitting # 1 and #2 applications”. The only thing
different is there is less money.
5.2 Municipality of Chisholm
- Barb Groves reported on the S/E Nipissing Municipal Action Group that held a meeting on June
27/06. Mr. A. Dematteo of NOHFC along with Board member Mr. Jack Burrows attended the
meeting. Barb feels that this is a great idea and all communities can benefit from hosting a session
- Catharine Mayne read a list of recent NECO funding recipients
- The next review is on July 26, 2006 and recipients will be notified after that date. She is pleased to
report that this time, there are many applications from the Almaguin Highlands.
5.4 FedNor; Not present
- Jeff Buell sent regrets – a tower is now up in Chisholm at the Municipal Office but not running yet.
The range will be 4 –6 kms.
5.6 Women’s Own Resource Centre. - Not present.
5.7 Burk's Falls/Armour/Ryerson Special Events Committee
- Eleanor Sled-Kurrle reported on the annual Greg Boyes Day to be held on July 22nd with a BBQ
Pig Roast, arm wrestling and other entertainment. .
- An application for funding has been submitted to NECO in order to paint a mural on the side of
the bowling alley. This will beautify the community.
- The statue of Greg Boyes created by artist Peter Camani has been relocated to the Daisy-a-Day
Garden Centre. There will be a bio in front of the statue.
- The highway sign has an area at the bottom for all event advertisements and is being utilized
presently for the Greg Boyes Day.
5.8 Almaguin Highlands Business After Hours (AHBAH)
- Report for Julie McDermott given by Denise Eckert. There will be a membership drive and also a
golf/dinner event on September 17/06.
5.9 Powassan Observatory Committee
- Report given by Andrew Busch and Kay Tod. Negotiations are proceeding between the
Committee/Council and a potential private partner.
- A new bridge is now being developed over the Sausage Creek --- road leading to the proposed
- A 2nd more accurate GPS location has been done at the proposed site.
5.10 Municipality of Whitestone BR&E Program .
- Kelly Early reported on a successful Summerfest held in Whitestone July 1, 2006 .
- Most comments were favourable. Some thought will be given to the musical entertainment to
satisfy most of the people
5.11 Economic Development in the Municipality of Powassan
- Gib Lane asked Andrew Busch if Allen Hodder has been contacted and Andrew confirmed that he
will be invited to a future meeting.
- The Municipality is in the process of developing a Strategic Plan
- MoPED is now approaching the end of its 2-year mandate.
- First Impression community project is still in the works.
- Kay Tod spoke on the Boat Cruise given on July 19 th as a “thank you” to the Municipality of
Powassan volunteers. This was a remarkable wine and cheese 3-hour cruise on the Chief
Commanda II around Lake Nipissing . The weather cooperated, the lake was calm and everyone
had a terrific time. Hats off to Powassan for this venture.
5.12 Almaguin Marketing Proposal
- There continues to be little public information made available.
- The Committee is looking for alternate sources of funding
5.13 Almaguin Highlands Bed and Breakfast Association. (AHB&B). No report
5.14 Kearney Watershed Environment Foundation/2008 Centennial Project .
- Jeff Johnston reported on a successful public meeting held on July 17, 2006 . Kay attended for
- A report was made on the consultant’s findings regarding the state of the watershed. There are 33
recommendations in this report. This will be beneficial to other communities and a copy is
available from Jeff if desired.
- Lake planner Randy French gave an inspiring talk on how to plan in a proactive way
- A package of environmental information is being made up at present thanks to a LIP grant.
- The next AHED meeting is to be held in Kearney in August and Jeff would like to invite the
Council and project workers to the meeting.
- A regatta is to be held on the Civic Holiday weekend.
5.15 Community Updates Directory
- Denise Eckert spoke to the changes in the format of her publication.
- She would like information to post on her website in the calendar.
5.16 South Almaguin E. D. Committee (formerly BF/A/R Economic Development Group)
- David Burr explained the process by which the SAED Comm developed. Denise Sherritt (MNDM)
assisted and her input was extremely valuable.
- There has been a range of ideas produced but none solidified as yet.
- A discussion took place re how to get the AHED minutes and agendas to councillors – some clerks
copy and some don’t. It was pointed out that this is not a political organization and other
organizations should also be notified.
- This issue will be discussed at the next meeting but it was generally agreed that the press should
receive copies of the AHED minutes.
- The Chair explained how she responds to letters and questions in a timely manner
- LTAB was looking for info on AHED for a publication and the Chair sent her a letter describing
the goals and successes of AHED.
- The Almaguin News also asked for timely information on the renaming of the Muskoka Algonquin
Healthcare Services (Muskoka/Huntsville/Burk’s Falls). The written response to the issue was read
by the Chair
- After some discussion, it was agreed that the understanding of AHED is that the Chair is the
official spokesperson for the group. This will be included in the Terms of Reference when they are
revised at the beginning of 2007.
Moved by Johnston and seconded by Sled-Kurrle that the Chair is authorized to provide oral and written material regarding AHED when required, which shall be reviewed with the Committee at the earliest opportunity. Motion carried
8. Other Business/Community Reports.
- David Stewart explained how his website Almaguin Highlands.com developed over the years. Dave
has incorporated into a business called Almaguin Highlands Ontario Inc. He would like to be
placed on the monthly Agenda
- Discussion was held re placing the AHED minutes on this website. This issue will be discussed at
the next AHED meeting in August.
- Brief discussion was held re how to have the area of Almaguin Highlands recognized on maps etc.
so that signage can be erected on the highways. Is there someone with MNDM who can give us
info? Time permitting, Kay will pursue.
- Special thanks to Magnetawan Councillor Frank Tod who arranged and paid for the venue today at
the Friendship Club. Thanks also for the refreshments. A letter from the Chair will be sent to
Magnetawan Council thanking Frank and inviting them to attend our next meeting in Kearney .
9. Adjournment and next meeting
Moved by Tod that the meeting adjourn at 11:50 a.m. Carried.
Next meeting: Kearney Community Centre
Date August 17, 2006 - Time: 10:00 a.m.
Directions: Take Highway 11 to Emsdale -- # 518 East exit. Drive 10 kms to Kearney
At the flashing red light, turn right and a quick left turn into the parking lot.
Christine Golding, Chair Kay Tod, Secretary
Back to AHED Minutes and News