ALMAGUIN HIGHLANDS ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP COMMITTEE
DRAFT Meeting Minutes – April 20, 2017
10 a.m. – 12 noon @ McMurrich Monteith Council Chambers
Present: Carol Armstrong, Councillor McMurrich Monteith, David Stewart, Almaguin Highlands Ontario Inc., Karen Insley Stewart, Cottage Pain Clinic
Welcome, Call to Order – David Stewart, Chair @ 10:05 a.m.
a) Regrets: Nil
Introduction of Attendees – Carol Armstrong, (Vice Chair), David Stewart, (Chair), Karen Insley Stewart, (Secretary)
Approval of Agenda April agenda - 1st: Carol Armstrong,
2nd Karen Insley Stewart, all in favour, carried.
Adoption of Minutes March 16, 2017 - 1st Carol Armstrong, 2nd Karen Insley Stewart, all in favour, carried.
Thank you to the Township of McMurrich Monteith for hosting this month’s meeting.
- Showcase Almaguin – No Sub-committee was struck to plan this event for 2017 - reported in correspondence received.
- Correspondence indicates that past AHED Contacts and Email lists were destroyed as of April 6, 2017.
- Future AHED meetings are to include an RRSP to Recipient Councils when agenda and meeting minutes are sent via email.
- Discussion regarding AHED’s Terms of Reference, the outstanding amendments and preparation for finalization was deferred this meeting.
- Email: AHED letter to WORC as per Committee meeting decision March 16th, 2017
- Email: WORC response re: PIPEDA, Showcase Almaguin and Membership
- A brief but important discussion on regional digital marketing and networking issues was accompanied with written notes and comments from the Chair. The points raised demonstrated a need for a combined strategic marketing of the region “acting locally and thinking globally”.
- Next steps for AHED: Carol introduced new information about an initiative proposed for an economic development plan and framework on a regional scale. It would involve shared municipal services with the inclusion of the existing “Clusters/Pods” formed throughout the region; i.e., Perry/McMurrich-Monteith/Magnetawan, (PMM), Central Almaguin Economic Development Association, (CAEDA), Powassan and area, Burk’s Falls/Armour/Ryerson, (Tri-R). If any group is not noted please advise. A 12-Member Committee would sit representing their local areas. Karen noted that in doing a partial environmental scan this discussion has come to some Council’s already. Committee consensus was given for the Chair to compose a letter to all Municipalities that AHED is very supportive of any economic development plans. AHED would appreciate these RED plans being shared with the Committee preferably by May 11, 2017 for next meeting discussion. Carol Armstrong was designated to contact the provincial funding stakeholder and discuss AHED’s role in the initiative.
- A moment was given to remember John Santarossa, CAEDA EDO who passed March 24th, 2017. The Chair and Secretary paid respects in North Bay. Contact will be made with Sunridge by AHED.
Newsletter update – www.almaguin.org has the latest agendas, minutes,
In-Camera (if required)
Meeting Adjourned at 11:55 motioned by 1st Carol Armstrong, 2nd David Stewart
- Next Meeting Date: May 18, 2017 South River Council Chambers @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Back to AHED Minutes and News