AHSPIC TERMS OF REFERENCE
By maximizing human, technical, and technological resources, the communities of the Almaguin Highlands will utilize their diversified natural amenities to offer high quality of life experiences to
all citizens and visitors, through strong and sustainable economic, social and environmental programs.
Values And Beliefs:
- Due to their strategic location and transportation infrastructure, the
communities of the Almaguin Highlands are a hub for achieving success in
generating jobs and economic development by capitalizing upon social, economic
and environmental quality of life features.
- The Group will provide excellent opportunities for growth in the region.
- The Group will support environmentally sound projects/proposals.
- The Group will support projects/proposals that bring economic benefits.
- We believe in communicating the Group's activities with the public.
The vision of the united Almaguin Highlands, is to enhance the quality of life for its citizens and visitors.
Short Term Goals:
- Promote/educate existence of the region plus its goals - to our local population and to decision makers at all government levels - (Municipal, Federal, Provincial).
- Develop an action plan that is both visionary & achievable.
- Use the available funds to leverage other organizations, governments, etc.
Long Term Goals:
- Maintain quality of life
- Preserve and utilize the environment effectively
- Improve and enhance connectivity
- Develop a full range of educational, medical and senior's services
- Pursue regional cooperation and teamwork based upon common goals
- Provide a range of job opportunities in the areas of business, industry and tourism
- Market and promote products and services
- Determine and meet the needs of citizens of all ages
The initial prime objective of the committee is to work towards the implementation of the Strategic Plan, by seeking broad consensus among all stakeholders and to develop an action plan for the
- To identify and promote a minimum of one project per sub-region.
- To demonstrate the Highland's economic capabilities.
Responsibility, Authority and Limitations
- attend meetings or send alternate
- present individual point of view and company perspective if appropriate approve minutes
- review draft documents prior to meetings
- collect information for draft documents
- provide input on draft documents
- contribute to decision making
- assist in obtaining additional funding sources
- promote committee & its goals/achievements
- constant sharing of information between members.
- to be established by committee as needed to perform tasks/projects
- may include some members of the committee plus additional participants as required
- reporting responsibility to full committee.
- plan and facilitate meetings
- develop meeting plans and agendas in conjunction with sponsor, recipient and other participants
- give input on draft minutes from meetings
- may play a role in communication.
- complete minutes of meetings
- circulate draft of minutes to facilitator and recipient.
The committee shall consist of the present membership of AHSPIC, and shall seek broad representation from Municipalities, Commerce and Industry in the Almaguin
Highlands. Any new members shall be accepted by majority resolution of existing members. Members shall represent the following stakeholders.
- municipal representatives from the sub regions
Representatives from Fed Nor\ NECO/ Provincial Ministries/ Blue Sky etc. etc. are encouraged to attend.
Specific personnel, will be recruited by the committee, to meet the need for expertise and to fill vacancies from the stakeholder groups identified above. Length of term will be a minimum 2 years,
according to the individual member's preference with turnover being staggered to create a mix of new and experienced members. Membership may be reviewed yearly to determine needed changes in
All decision making shall be in accordance with procedures accepted for Business and Municipalities. The Steering Committee shall continue to exist under the sponsorship
of the Village of South River and function in a like manner to a committee of Council.
Location: Primarily at the South River Arena
And or on a rotating basis in other venues as decided from time to time
Day of Week: Duration: 2 hours
Format: Face to face for regular members, Audio/video conference for special guest speaker.
Setting Agenda: Regular items set at meetings, e.g. update, review of minutes, treasurer's report, sub-committee reports. Special items to be submitted to Chairperson, two weeks before the
next meeting; include in notice of meeting, if possible.